Friday, April 17, 2009

Why do we even care?

I've been talking about "Knowing God". I talked about the four evidences of knowing God, but I think that leads us to the simple questions - Why do I even care? Many people feel as if God is some abstract power or galactic being that is out there doing His own thing and they don't give it a second thought.

For me, as I look at life, I can't help but know in my heart that there is more to life than the short 80 or so years that we spend on this rock called earth. For as long as we have records of mankind, there has always been an underlying belief of some sort of life after death. Whether that is Valhalla, the happy hunting ground, paradise, heaven, or reincarnation. Mankind has almost alway believed that there is life after death.

In John 17:3 Jesus says "This is eternal life, that they know You the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you sent." Knowing God is the key to eternal life. Not merely knowing about Him. Satan and his followers know about God - but they do not know Him as Lord.

Looking back to the time when Adam and Eve walked in the Garden of Eden, there was a time when God walked and talked with mankind - face to face. Adam and Eve knew God. In fact I would go so far as to say that that is why they were created to know God.

Hosea 6:6 says that God does not want our sacrfices - He wants our steadfast love. It also says that He does not want burnt offerings from us - what He truly desires is for us to KNOW GOD.

We were created to Know God and to be known by God. If we are not living out the very purpose for which we were created - then what's the point of life?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post, Mike ...