Monday, April 6, 2009

Knowing God

I have been wrestling with the difference between knowing a lot ABOUT God and actually KNOWING GOD. Through this, I pulled out the book Knowing God by J.I. Packer. This is one of those books that I bought 15 years ago and have started reading once or twice only to get sidetracked - but this time - it is really speaking to me.

On one hand - people would argue that it is impossible for us, as finite beings, to really know God. He is so infinite and so far beyond our comprehension that it seems ridiculous for us to truly KNOW Him. And yet Jesus says that not only does He know us - but that we should know Him - and not just know him a little. He says that we should know Him the same way that He knows the Father and the Father knows Him.

John 10:14-15 (ESV)
14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Wow - so how do we really KNOW God? I believe that it starts by knowing a lot about God and then meditating on His word and allowing it to permeate our lives and take root in our lives so that it transforms us from the inside out.

I am going to continue this theme of KNOWING GOD tomorrow.

No comments: