Thursday, December 4, 2008

Don't Shoot the Messenger

Amos 6 offers what is to me a haunting picture of what we as Americans have become. The prophet is warning the people of Israel/Judah of complacency and arrogance when it comes to fearfully following the Lord. The people had become so secure in their place as "God's Chosen People" that they believed themselves to be untouchable.

We as American's are in a similar place. We are a country founded on faith in God and biblical values - and yet we are no longer a Christian nation. We are living in a post-Christian era where God is no longer given top priority by people in positions of power and authority within our nation. We need more Christian leaders, businessmen, and politicians who are willing to stand up for the truth and say - I will not give up, back down, or let go - I am standing up for what is right - I will not compromise on my beliefs or my values.

The only time that God can judge a nation is this side of heaven. If we don't change our ways - if we don't turn and stop relying on or past greatness to save us - God will cast Judgement upon our nation. We must turn and seek God and perhaps He will spare us.

No comments: