Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Do run run, yaaahh ya Do run run

Well I'm back - I hope that you have all continued reading along with our Powered by 4 reading plan. I have had a crazy last week - with Thanksgiving, family visits, the close of Deer season and life in general. I apologize for not keeping up on the blog over the past week.

A couple of fleeting thoughts over the past few days reading. Psalms is poetry - never forget that - it is not meant as doctrine or deep Theological reading - but it can offer us tremendous insight into the character of God as well as the lives of the various authors. I have never really known much about the descendants of Korah, but Psalm 42 - 46 remind us that the Lord is trustworthy even when life seems really tough. When we can't see or feel God at work in or around us - He is still with us. Put your trust in Him.

The book of Amos kind of builds on this theme - today's reading in Amos 5:1-17, reminds me that no matter what I have done, no matter how far I have strayed from God - if I turn to Him and praise Him - if I trust Him when my life is in shambles because of the stupid mistakes and choices that I have made - He is faithful and will forgive me.

That doesn't mean that I am let off of the hook when it comes to suffering the consequences of my choices, but I am forgiven and loved by God no matter what I have done. And maybe, just maybe if I turn and run hard enough and long enough in the direction that God wants me to go - perhaps, I will reach a point where the good things and the blessings in my life outweigh the pain and sorrow that I have brought upon myself.

If there is just one or two verses that you remember from today's reading - let it be Amos 5:14-15.

Do what is good and run from evil so that you may live! Then the Lord God of Heaven’s Armies will be your helper, just as you have claimed. Hate evil and love what is good; turn your courts into true halls of justice. Perhaps even yet the Lord God of Heaven’s Armies will have mercy on the remnant of his people. (Amos 5:14-15, NLT)

No comments: