Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Friends are Friends Forever

Friends are Friends Forever, if the Lord is the Lord of them.

In Today's reading, 1 Samuel 20, I am reminded of the importance of friends. True friends that stand beside each other - through thick and thin. Closer than a brother (Don't get me wrong, I love my brother - the trouble is, he is in Northern Africa - in a situation where I needed somebody to walk beside me, I could talk with him, but it would be difficult to be with him). God bless you and your work Andy - I love you.

But throughout my lifetime, I have been blessed to have several very close friends. Friends that I could turn to in any circumstance for help. I have moved and left a couple of these friends behind, but our friendship continues.

In the case of Jonathan and David, Jonathan was willing to risk his own life to protect his friend David. As hard as it was for Jonathan, he was willing to take a stand against his own father (who just happened to be king). Saul was right, as long as David was alive, Jonathan would never be king - Jonathan didn't care - he loved David.

Who is your Jonathan - who can you turn to and know that they will always help? Who is in your life that is willing to sacrifice anything and everything for your sake.

One thing that is certain in life - we will face challenges. We will face hardships. We will face tragedy and uncertainty. We were not intended to live life alone. We need friends and family that will stand beside us no matter what. I praise God that he has given me both friends and family - I love you all.

No comments: