Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Points of Contact

I have been reading No Perfect People Allowed by John Burke.  It is a great book subtitled "Creating a Come as You Are Culture in the Church" - it is a fantastic book that really makes me think.

Burke tells stories of how Goths, addicts, and people living alternative lifestyles have come to experience the Grace of God through this come as you are culture and mindset.  It is really encouraging to see the power of God at work in the lives of people like this.  I have seen similar stories in our own church.

When it comes to accepting people as they are - loving people in the midst of their sin, I think I do a pretty good job.  I don't expect non-Christians to act like Christians.  I don't mind it (too much) when people swear and talk about their questionable morals and choices.  I even tend to be able to engage them in conversation and make a connection when I get the chance.  My biggest problem is not in offering love and grace, it is in simply making the connection in the first place.

Between working two+ jobs, being a father, a husband, a homeowner, etc. life is full of responsibilities as it is.  How do we get the word to the people that need to hear it.  The answer is quite simple and yet very profound.  Looking at the life of Jesus - He took His ministry to the people that needed to hear it.  To the lost and the sinners - sure He spent some time teaching in the synagogues but He spent more time teaching and healing in the streets.  Amongst the hurting and the lost.  That's the easy part, the profound part comes when we try to mesh the need to do that with the reality of life.

At this point I don't have a good answer, but I recognize the fact that if we want the message of Christ to change and impact the lives of the people that need it the most - we have to be intentional about it.  We have to remove the blinders that we have chosen to put on our own eyes and look around us.  We are surrounded by people in need of a savior.

Who are the people that need to experience the loving forgiveness of Christ the most?  Is it the addict, the prostitute, the poor, the homeless, the two income family living in the upscale part of town, is it the single Mom working two jobs just to make ends meet?  It's all of these.  It is our neighbors, the people across the street, down the street and on the street that need to know Him.  Everyone who doesn't know Him is headed for eternity without Him.  Sometimes it is easy to say - we are going to focus on the poor, the homeless, etc. but in reality, do they need Christ any more or any less than our neighbors that don't know him?

Even as I was writing this post, I was having visions of Taking the gospel to the South Side, to the homeless, to the bars, addicts, etc. but as I was working through this, I realize that that is a trap of Satan - he wants us to ignore the people around us - and focus on certain groups people at the expense of others.  The truth is that each of us are surrounded by people who need to know Christ - we need to pray, diligently every day that our eyes would be open to the hurt, the searching, the need right around us.

For some of us that means going to the places I mentioned - for some of us it means striking up a conversation with the father sitting next to us at our child's soccer game.  Help me Lord to be diligent and to not walk past or ignore the Points of Contact that You have given me in my life.

No comments: