Friday, July 2, 2010

By the Spirit of the Lord

Often times it is easy for myself, and other church planters to judge our success based on the outward appearance of what is happening at our churches.  I often times say that if I had known then what I know now, I'm not sure I would have agreed to get into church planting.

Originally I had envisioned a rapidly growing church with hundreds of people and hundreds of baptisms within the first five years - I envisioned offering multiple services, a multiple person staff, dozens of different programs and mission opportunities, etc.  As we approach the 5 year mark of that I have been working on Yellowstone Church - we are instead at the dozens mark rather than the hundreds mark.  Rather than a cutting edge high tech facility we have an old bar that we have equipped with a little technology.  Rather than continuing to work as a full time church planter and pastor, I work as a part time pastor and a full time High School Welding Teacher.

So is it a successful church plant - ABSOLUTELY!!! Without the shadow of a doubt.  The dozens of people that come to Yellowstone Church are people that with very few exceptions had absolutely no church affiliation of any sort before becoming involved at Yellowstone Church - several of them are new believers and those that aren't new believers hadn't been involved in any other church for several years.  We have people that are new to Billings and had been having trouble making connections and building relationships - they come to Yellowstone Church and find true relationship and friendship - they are challenged in their faith and their relationship with God grows to new depths.  Above all else - I have been challenged in my own faith and relationship with God.

This morning, I was reading Zechariah chapter 4 and was struck by the Lord's message to Zerubbabel in verse 6

Zechariah 4:6 (NIV)
6 So he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.   

Zerubbabel didn't have all the royal trappings and fame that his ancestors David and Solomon had had - but God chose him to lead the rebuilding of the temple through the power of the Holy Spirit.

That is my prayer for my life and for Yellowstone Church - that even though we may not have the most money, the flashiest facilities, the best programs, or event he best pastor - that we would continue growing and leading people to new depths in their relationship with Christ - not because of anything we have done but through the Power of the Holy Spirit.

I love our church (the people - not the building - although the building is pretty cool too) and I love the people that our church is ministering to.  We will be the best church that we can be - not through money, nor by flashy worship, but by the Spirit of the Lord Almighty.

No comments: