Monday, November 10, 2008

Living in the Light

I had a few people tell me that my blog was hard to read - hopefully this new layout will prove easier for you to read. Feel free to let me know what you think of it.

Today's reading come from 1 John 1. I love 1 John because it is so practical and so relevant to our lives. In fact that is how John starts out - he basically says - I am telling you about what I have seen and touched and experienced 1st hand. I'm not repeating rumors or telling stories - what I am telling you is real - I have seen it - I have touched it.

To me that is one of the Greatest Characteristics of Christianity. The God we serve is a personal, loving, involved God - He isn't "WATCHING US FROM A DISTANCE". Neither is Christianity dark and mysterious - like some other religions. There are no higher levels or deeper secrets within Christianity - it is all revealed in the LIGHT.

If we walk and live within the light. We have can have complete understanding - we can have fellowship with each other - and we can have complete cleansing and forgiveness of EVERY SIN. Not just the little ones, not just the big ones - EVERY SIN.

The problem is that sometimes people see the light - off in the distance, but as they start getting closer and closer to the light - it begins to hurt their eyes because it their eyes are used to the darkness. It's kind of like when we are sleeping - if someone turns the light on real quick - it hurts our eyes, but after a moment or two, our eyes adjust and it is much more pleasant to live in the light than to try to stumble around in the darkness - stubbing our toes and tripping over things that we don't see.

Unfortunately, some people are afraid of what the light reveals - if we live in the darkness we don't have to confront our messy hair, our imperfections and our blemishes. But once we decide to come into the light - it reveals certain things about ourselves that we need to change. Some people tell themselves that everything is fine the way that it is and they continue to live in the darkness - they continue to live in sin - because it is comfortable and they don't have to confront those issues.

But it is only when we come into the light that we can be all that we were created to be. Only then can we confront our sins and let the blood of Jesus cleanse us of those sins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new layout - color is much easier to read on my computer. I do have an older monitor - but others might also. So - thumbs up on the new look.

Anonymous said...

I do like the new background. It is much easier for me to read.
Hey - I sent a comment, and it didn't go through. So - I'll try again. Don't know what happened the first time

Pastor Mike said...

Hey Dad,

Your first post didn't go through because I have it set up so that I have to approve comments before they are posted - so far I have approved everything - but right now I just like to see them before the comments get posted.