Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Know when to fold 'em

1 Samuel 27 offers an interesting insight into the life of David. The end of chapter 26 finds Saul once again saying "oops, my bad - please forgive me". But David in his heart knows that he can't trust Saul. So what does he do, he packs up and leaves the country. He goes into hiding among the enemies of Israel - the Philistines. He ends up leading a double life raiding against the enemies of Israel while at the same time telling the Philistines that he was raiding against Israel.

I think that David had gotten tired of running. David was after all human, just like you and I. One thing I find interesting here is that this is one of the times where, as far as we know, David did not inquire of the Lord before he acted. And we will see in a few chapters how this created a lot of problems and grief for David.

I think that a lot of people assume that just because something is in the Bible, that it must be good and acceptable. In this case people could assume that the end justifies the means - David got a head by living a life of deceit and trickery - it must be ok for me to live like that in my business and life.

There may be times in life when it is ok to pack it in, call it quits, and move on to something new. But to hide from your problems through lies and deceit is not what the Bible is recommending here. Never forget to INQUIRE OF THE LORD before you move - and when it seems as if He is silent on the issue - continue waiting for him to respond.

No comments: