Thursday, September 2, 2010

Religious Arrogance

How do we stand firm in the conviction and biblical teaching that Jesus is the only way to God without coming across as being arrogant in our beliefs?

I want our church to be a place where people who are searching for truth, purpose, meaning, help, etc. can come and find the answers that they are looking for.  I desire this because I know that in reality, what they are looking for is God - a savior who offers them forgiveness and a fresh start.

Unfortunately, if people perceive Christians as being arrogant and intolerant they won't even bother looking there for their answers.  That's why I think it is important to guard against presenting ourselves as "I know Jesus therefore I'm always right - you are always wrong".

I constantly find myself struggling with questions - especially questions about the nature of God.  I don't claim to know all of the inner workings of the Trinity for instance.  I don't have all of the answers regarding the end times.  I don't know for sure what happens when a person who has never been exposed to the truth of Jesus Christ dies without ever knowing that God loves us enough to send His son to die for our sins.  And the list goes on and on and I am constantly reminded that I don't have all of the answers to the tough questions.  But I do know a few things.

I know that God is God and I am not.  I know that by nature I am a sinful being.  I know that God is not.  I know that He is Just.  I know that He is a loving God.  I know that there is nothing that I could ever do to make myself right with God (in fact to me the very idea that I could make myself right with God through my actions is the epitome of arrogance).  I know that He sent His only son - Jesus Christ to die on a cross and pay the punishment for my sins.  I know that if I live my life according to the principle's taught in the Bible my life as well as those around me will benefit.

I may not have all of the answers - but God does and I trust Him.

No comments: